After years of I-don’t-have-time or it’s-too-expensive, you’ve finally decided to go ahead and say goodbye to your hair permanently with electroepilation (electrolysis) treatments. What a great choice! To make sure everything goes smoothly, here are a few professional do’s and don’ts before and after each hair removal session, to make it as pleasant and effective as possible for you.
- Prepare your skin a few days before your session. Exfoliate and moisturize it (with Exoderm and Nutrisens or Hydravive from Action de Gala). This will facilitate the work of the electrologist and make the treatment more comfortable and effective.
- Hydrate yourself. Drink plenty of water before and after your treatment sessions.
- Avoid sugar, caffeine and alcohol to promote better hydration and reduce sensitivity.
- Avoid chemical peels and retinoids for at least 10 days before your treatment.
- If possible, do not schedule your appointment during your period, as this may increase your skin sensitivity.
- If you have any health problems that affect your skin, heart, blood or hair growth, you should always consult your doctor beforehand and inform your electrologist.
- Do not expose the area to the sun for at least 48 hours before a treatment to avoid causing skin irritation.
- Avoid bleaching the hair before an appointment, as the paler the hair, the more difficult it will be for your electrologist to see.
- Avoid wearing makeup if your hair removal is on your face and deodorant if it is under your arms to avoid residue clogging your ostium and pores.
- Apply a soothing product to the treated area for the first 48 hours (e.g. Yi-zhibaume or HydraPlus from Action de Gala) to soothe the treated area.
- Avoid sun exposure for at least 72 hours after treatment. Apply a sun protection cream (SPF 30) if the area is exposed (e.g. face)
- If needed, apply cold water compresses (not ice) or spray the area with a cool restorative lotion such as Toniqa from Action de Gala.
- Avoid rubbing, scratching and excessive touching of the treated area for 24 hours after treatment.
- Do not use deodorant or alcohol-based products on the treated areas.
- To avoid infection and inflammation, refrain from very hot baths, saunas or intense workouts for a few days following the treatment.
- Do not shave or use other hair removal methods between sessions.
- If any small “scabs” appear, it is very important not to scratch them. Let them fall off by themselves and protect the area from the sun.
- Make an appointment for your next session and above all, respect the dates of your appointments. To obtain optimal results, it is important that your hair be in its growth phase (anagen), so the interval between your treatments is very important.
In brief, just remember to take care of your skin and yourself before and after each electrolysis treatment and follow your electrologist’s recommendations. This will help the removal of your unwanted hair effectively and for good.